While many pet owners are aware that chocolate is toxic to dogs, for example, there are many pet poisons that owners are unaware of. Varying in toxicity, these poisons are harmful to your pet, and extra efforts should be taken to prevent your furry friends from ingesting them.
What Are Some of the Most Common Pet Poisons?
Some of the most common pet poisons are common sense, and others may surprise you. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA®) conducts research of the most common pet poisons each year. According to their research, the most common pet poisons in 2019 were as follows:
- Over the counter (OTC) medications
- Human prescription medications
- Veterinary products
- Household items
- Garden products
See a Full List of Animal Poisons here.
Tips For Prevention
You may be wondering to yourself, “What can I do to make sure my pet doesn’t ingest anything they shouldn’t?” Here are some of the best things you can do to ensure just that:
Know the Most Common Pet Poisons
Knowing which substances are poisonous and which are not will allow you to take any precautions necessary to keep your pet safe and healthy. Read and remember the list above, writing it down for good measure. Accidents can still happen, but the chances of one happening are decreased drastically if you are well educated on the most common pet poisons.
Make The Poisons Hard to Access
Keeping the harmful substances away from your pet is the best way to prevent your pet from ingesting them. Properly store all harmful food in containers and out of reach. When gardening or doing lawn care, keep your pet inside for the time being to prevent them from ingesting fertilizer, insecticide, and other gardening products.
Certain plants can be harmful, as well. Lilies are harmful to cats, and cycad palms are very harmful to both cats and dogs. Keeping these substances out of your pet’s reach is the best preventative measure you can take to ensure your pet’s safety.
Be Careful of Feeding Your Pet Leftovers
It may seem harmless, and it sure can sure be hard to say no to your dog who’s giving you the “puppy eyes,” but feeding your pet the leftovers on your plate may be more harmful than you think. Some of the most common poisons are food that frequents the dinner table. For example, garlic and onions are harmful to your furry friend, as are grapes, raisins, and chocolate.
Have A Plan Just In Case
No matter how cautious you are, mistakes can happen. The best thing you can do is to have a plan of action in case you suspect your pet may have ingested a poisonous substance. Some common symptoms your pet has been poisoned include:
- Blood in the stool
- Loss of appetite
- Irregular heartbeat
- Inability to urinate
If you think your pet may have ingested poison, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
Phone Number: (888) 426-4435
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call the number above.
For more information from the Animal Poison Control Center, click here!
If you have any questions about poisonous substances for your pet, give us a call, and we’ll assist you the best we can!